Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving & A Turkey Warning!!

First, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! This is a day for Americans to give thanks, and a celebration of our harvests. Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday - it is not commercialized, and it is a time of celebration and fellowship to be spent with those you love and car about. Today I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I'm thankful for - my family, my friends, my loved ones, my animals and my sweet Milly, my opportunity to ride horses again, my health, my home, my job, my blog and blog followers, and my freedom of speech that enables this blog - there are too many things I am thankful for to list. 

I woke up early on this Thanksgiving to go to the Blessing of the Hounds at our local fox hunt. I was running a bit late, and missed the actual Blessing, though I did get to watch 40 horses and riders (a very small turnout) and many, many hounds run/gallop off into the woods as horns pressed against field masters' lips blared into the morning fog. It really is a sight. I actually used to partake in these fox hunts (don't worry, in my many years hunting we never once brought a fox to ground or killed a fox).

I spent my afternoon/early evening in fellowship with my family (minus one brother, his wife and their darling daughter) and my parent's dog Lucy. I left Milly in Arlington, VA this Thanksgiving to keep my significant other company (holidays are never a favorable time of year in his family, unfortunately) - she slept last night in the bed, and dined on a raw bison marrow bone this afternoon. This afternoon we had an amazing dinner prepared by my brother Teddy, and the whole family pitched in.

After stuffing our faces with Turkey and fully satisfying our appetites my dad suggested giving Lucy some Turkey, but I immediately said make sure no skin, no fat, and no turkey that has been seasoned, because it is rumored to be connected to holiday pancreatitis. 

So before you feed those left overs to your pooch make sure 1) there is no turkey skin 2) there is no fat 3) the turkey has not been seasoned, because you don't want your pooch to get pancreatitis. 

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all! Let me know what you did today and what you're thankful for!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you and yours the most blessed of days as we break bread with friends and family or spend our time as a volunteer with any one of the numerous charities in need of our time and talents.

    Peace, plenty, prosperity - my wish for the United States of America.

    ReplyDelete