Wednesday, April 8, 2009

FURminator deShedding Tool: I can't imagine my life without it!


A year and a half ago I heard of a product called the FURminator deShedding Tool, and read rave reviews, both official reviews on pet websites, and consumer testimonies from both friends and members of horse and dog forums I belong to. At first I was reluctant to bite the bullet and purchase the FURminator deShedding Tool, because at a cost of over $55 it is far from a cheap grooming tool, but the rave reviews did me in, and I ordered the large FURminator deShedding Tool. You can now find the large FURminator on Amazon.com for under $30.


When the package finally arrived I was ecstatic, and decided to try it immediately on my Golden Retriever, Milly, who sheds copious amounts of hair year round. At the time, Milly was blowing her coat, and the dog hair around the house was at an all time high. I rarely wore my favorite black or dark colored clothing in public, because I knew I was a walking example of a nutty dog owner. Worse, Milly’s shedding was starting to really get on my roommate’s nerves as massive balls of fur seemed to be in every corner of the house.


I decided to test the FURminator immediately, and sat down on the living room floor with Milly, and set to work.

Milly: The First Experience With the FURminator

In less than five minutes the FURminator deShedded numerous handfuls of hair from Milly.

Milly has a medium-thick coat (I’ve seen Golden Retrievers with much thicker coats, but also ones with thinner coats), but she does have a thick undercoat. Her naturally thick undercoat and the fact that she was blowing her coat at the time made this the perfect opportunity to test out my new grooming tool.

Milly loves being touched, groomed and handled, especially by her person, me. As soon as I ran the FURminator through her coat, she lay down flat on the floor and closed her eyes in delight. I spent about 45 minutes that first day FURminating Milly, and accumulated three plastic shopping bags of soft, golden, dusted with white dander dog hair.

I now use the FURminator deShedding tool in 5-10 minute intervals at least three times a week. I have noticed lots of little sessions with the FURminator are more affective than one long session. I have also started doing it outside, as the FURminator deShedding Tool seems to have some sort of magnetic or static charge that attracts the hair, and the shedded hair loves to cling to clothing, furniture, etc.


This image is from the FURminator website, and I took twice that amount of hair off of Milly on our first use!

Four Paws for the FURminator!!!

From my experience with FURminator, I give this tool a 4-paws up, 5-star rating. It has become an essential part of my day-to-day life. I am particularly happy that I have fewer allergy symptoms, am able to wear some of my favorite black clothes again and my roommate is no longer constantly upset about the massive amounts of dog hair throughout the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment