Thursday, April 23, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR YAPPY HOUR!!!

As the trees fill with blossoms, and the sun begins to shine more regularly, I know that all of those April showers have paid off, and my May flowers are just around the corner. With spring, and the onset of summer, I yearn to be outside more and more.


There is a little dive bar in Arlington, VA called “Jays” where my roommates and I love to go during the summer. As all dive bars do, Jays has plenty of character, and it is simply a pleasure to sit outside on a warm afternoon or early evening, and drink some beer while chatting with my friends. While I do enjoy these moments with pals, I cannot help but feel a bit guilty that I am not spending time during the brilliant weather with Milly.


Well, I no longer have to feel guilty, as “Yappy Hours” are popping up all over the place, Jays included. Yappy Hour is a fun social event for our canine companions and their human parents. Yappy Hour is the perfect opportunity for humans to mix and mingle while their dog socializes with their buddies. In fact, some Yappy Hours are even creating a doggie play area for extra play time!


If you aren’t a beer drinker, don’t worry! Many vineyards have caught on to the fun and exciting trend of Yappy Hour, and who wouldn’t want to sip some pinot on a porch, while their pup sits happily at their feet? While Milly has never attended a vineyard sanctioned Yappy Hour, she has gone on numerous wine tasting adventures. I always call ahead to make sure each vineyard is dog friendly (some will require your dog to remain outside while you taste indoors), and pack plenty of water and treats for Milly. It is so much fun to leave the hustle and bustle of urban living behind and head to the countryside (in our case, Middleburg, VA and surrounding areas) and dart through the rows of grapes.


I encourage all of my readers to check in your local area for upcoming Yappy Hours. They are so much fun! If you don’t have a dog, don’t worry – just tag along with a dog owning pal, or “borrow” a dog from a multiple dog owning friend. It’s probably best to leave the treats at home to prevent dog jealousy, and call ahead to see if your Yappy Hour provides water bowls, if not, you’ll want to bring your own. As always, please drink responsibly, and make sure you have a designated driver.


Don’t forget there is still time to enter the Bully Stick GIVEAWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment